Firstly, what is a credit score?
- Experian- score out of 999
- Equifax- score out of 700
- Transunion (formerly Callcredit)- score out of 710
What affects my score?
How do I improve my score?
- Check that all payments are up to date.
- Are you well within your credit card limits?
- Only borrow what you can afford to repay.
- Close down any dormant accounts, but bear in mind that a long-standing yet well-managed account looks better than none at all.
- Consistently make repayments on time. Consider setting up Direct Debits to ensure this.
- Monitor your report regularly so that there are no mistakes on your report and be aware of fraudulent activity.
- If you have financial ties to an ex-partner, their credit may be linked to yours. A ‘notice of dissociation’ can be issued to the leading 3 Credit Reference Agencies.